When is a handbag no longer a handbag? When it looks a little something like any one of these. From guns, to heads, to animal parts, here are ten handbags turned objets d’art…
Note: the above image is not a real handbag. It was an ad campaign for weight loss. via WaitMag
1. A Finger on It – Spanish designer Inés Figaredo takes the term hand bag to a whole new er, uncomfortable level. Her designs are amazing though, in a creepy way that makes you feel good. Check her out!
2. Hand (bags) up! – This might be what an amateur criminals handbag might look like when they are packing heat. Vleiger and Vandam do not condone violence, but they do condone badass accessorizing.
3. Bag or Bowl? - designer Michael Shabtiali must of asked himself “Why is it only the dog can go for walkies?” And with good reason. I’ve tried to take my cat for walkies, but he just gives me the “you are cutting into my nap time” face. On to other creatures – this bowl bag is perfect for taking your aquarium peeps out for some fresh air. We recommend walking on a rainy day, sans umbrella.
4. Chicken Feet Purse – designer, unknown. Is that a chicken in your purse or you just happy to see me? I think this is pretty ingenious though. Hate it when your purse falls sloppily on its side ’cause it’s so full of crap. Just make sure it doesn’t walk away when you’ve got your head turned. Do not take this to dim sum..
5. How Keeeeylever – Keybag by Joao Sabino, a Portuguese artist made his claim to bag fame by tearing up his keyboard in a rage against technology, and making this limited edition handbag, aka the KeyIver, made from 393 keys in Portuguese white silver, the best that money can buy. Warning: this story may have been slightly exaggerated.
6. James Pita’s “Tinkerbell” purse is based on Paris Hilton’s discarded pet Tinkerbell (look closely and see it is an upside down deal Chihuahua). Deep meanings: The design capitalizes on the trend of carrying a small dog as a fashion accessory. It is currently out of stock.
7. Shrunken Heads - Israeli artists Yael Mer & Shay Alkalay designed these hand bags, at the Royal College of Art in ’06. Something about women and victory without violent action inspired this. And heads will roll…
8. Stella McCartney‘s Wooden Accordion Clutch Bag - This is actually a rip off of some popular style seen in the 1940′s. Don’t know what you would put in here (maybe a hamster?) Nothing embarrassing, that’s for sure..
9. Extra! Extra! - Anya Hindmarch -headline printed canvas shopper – Literally a headliner in its own rite, this leather-trimmed canvas tabloid print style bad is easy for weekend carry-allness. Guaranteed to be the talk – or tote – of the town. Not guaranteed to make any actual headlines yourself.
10. Olympia Le-Tan Pill box Brozac embroidered twill shoulder bag – my favourite of the lot. Saved the best for last. Can’t you just hear the informercial? “Brozac! 16 capsules helps your friends put up with you! Order today!”