Coeur de pirate is French for ‘pirate heart’ and doubles as a stage name for the talented singer-songwriter Béatrice Martin. Even though she sang exclusively in French until 2010, it’s easy to hear that her music, personality, stage charisma, speak to all languages. Touring and marking the stages from Paris to Osheaga… and all the way to the web with indie collaborations, Coeur de Pirate shows no sign of slowing down. However, we’ll have to wait to see what she works on next – as she and her partner are expecting a baby due at the end of the summer! So yes folks, we’ll have to wait for her to begin touring again next year (BOO!) but you lucky readers don’t have to wait a single second to learn 15 random (cute) facts about the lovely Coeur de Pirate.
1. I love The Wire. In fact, I love it so much that I like to believe that I can imitate proper Baltimore slang and ghostwrite r’n'b songs about having a rough upbringing.
2. I secretly thought I was Sailor Mercury from ages 5 to 8.
3. I waited for my acceptance to Hogwarts letter when I turned 11.
4. The first thing I bought when I started making my own money was a Nintendo DS and Pokemon. Probably because my parents never let me have a Gameboy. Needless to say, I played for 24 hours straight.
5. I like to bake…then give it away. When I have nothing to do, that’s pretty much all I do.
6. The first song I obsessed about was this song called The Way by a band called Fastball. I asked one of my aunts to get it on tape for me, and I played it on my tiny little ghetto blaster over and over again until I got really sick of it. I’ve been that way ever since.
7. I don’t like spooning.
8. Before I got into singing I wanted to become a tattoo artist. Now I am a little worried I wouldn’t be taken seriously if I went there with my life but I plan on working hard enough to make my mark (if I do get there), just like I did with music.
9. I own close to 60 shades of nail polish and I still can’t do my nails right. It just looks like I dipped my fingers in nail polish whenever I do it.
10. I’d like to own a golden doodle and call him Monsieur Bob
11. I really, really, really really really like cheesy R&B
12. Whenever I get anxious I bring the surface of my hand up to my face and press it on my nose. It’s weird, but hey.
13. I had half white, and half black hair for a whole summer in 2005. I also refused to wear something other than a hoodie and jeans that summer. Me and my family went to Vegas too, and it’s hot down there. I don’t know what I was thinking.
14. I love yoga. It’s probably the only thing that helps me concentrate for more than 15 minutes.
15. I’m happily taken, at 22.
BUT FIRST! Watch/listen to her cover The Weeknd’s ‘Wicked Games’ so beautifully that your heart will explode: