We love The Rural Alberta Advantage. Equal parts drums and soulful lyrics – their music made its way deep into our hearts. Since their impressive debut album “Hometowns” in 2009 they have been featured in SPIN, SXSW, sold-out multiple shows in Toronto, recently shared the stage with The Tragically Hip AND have appeared on the MuchMusic and CW series The L.A. Complex. The Rural Alberta Advantage are burning up the Canadian music and entertainment scene.
We got a chance to chat with the talented trio – Nils Edenloff (vocals and guitar), Amy Cole (vocals and keyboard) and Paul Banwatt (drums) and they shared 13 *fun facts* about the band:
1. Nils met Paul and Amy after moving to Toronto, so technically the band is only 1/3 Albertan.
2. Paul and Amy used to play in another band with a high school friend of Nils’ before The RAA.
3. Amy met Paul at a comedy night when she asked the room “I’m looking for a drummer, does anyone here know how to drum?”
4. The first practice space that The RAA ever had they shared it with The Wooden Sky.
5. Their first ever tour was to the Canadian East Coast (February 2008) and other playing Halifax Pop Explosion its the only time we’ve ever been able to tour out there. Sorry East Coast!
6. They hadn’t played a single show in Alberta until They’d been together for over 3 years (June 2009).
7. Paul and Amy enjoy doing crossword puzzles in the van.
8. Paul prefers listening to podcasts while driving.
9. Nils prefers listening to music while driving.
10. Paul is a fan of Coast to Coast.
11. In 2010, in Northern Ontario en route to the Thunder Bay, they narrow avoided a head on collision with tractor trailer that was trying to pass a vehicle in their lane.
12. We just bought a new (used) van.
13. We’re going across Canada in the fall (late-Oct to early-Nov) with Dan Mangan, sorry no East Coast dates.
On that note, you should watch this video!