Obey these ten commandments for a life
well ~*fashionably*~ lived.
1. Thou shalt have no other style icons before Carine Roitfeld
The woman is a genius. Her ability to give fashion true meaning by creating editorial goddesses that jump off every page is the reason she’s worshiped as one of the industries most influential muses. Take notes.
2. Thou shalt not take the name of thy Vogue in vain
Meaning you should never, ever, rip a page out of your Vogue. All that’s left is an incomplete editorial, a story with no ending, a magazine archive that’s been cheated.
3. Thou shalt remember the higher the heels, the closer to god
Sky-high footwear should always take precedence.
4. Thou shalt invest in the classics to keep them holy
Including, but not limited to: the LBD, the white shirt, the trench coat, a pair of ballet flats, a large tote, black pumps, the cardigan and the right undergarments. You’re wardrobe needs these items to function.
5. Thou shalt be thankful for a bad hair day
You should count your blessings every time one of those obnoxious bad hair days finds its way into your morning routine, because there’s no easier way of accomplishing sultry bedroom tresses than embracing stubborn hair.
6. Thou shalt raid your grandmother’s closet
What’s old is always reborn. Your grandmother has a closet filled with authentic treasures, so take advantage of your family’s history through fashion.
7. Thou shalt not honour your mother’s fashion rules
Including, but not limited to: mixing prints, wearing black with brown or navy, combining gold with silver, wearing horizontal stripes, etcetera, etcetera. Don’t listen to your mother. It’s perfectly fine to do all of these things.
8. Thou shalt add one more accessory before you leave the house
Coco Chanel once said that before leaving the house you should look in the mirror and remove one accessory. A wise woman indeed. But when it comes to making a sartorial statement, especially when you’re not adorned in Chanel tweed, more is always more, darling.
9. Thou shalt wear sequins before 10 a.m.
The verdicts in: sparkles are not just for parties. They’re for everyday, and also a vital part of the breakfast of champions.
10. Thou shalt always dress like you’re going to see your worst enemy
These words are not mine. They were scribbled across a page of my notebook, but it seemed fairly apropos to end the commandments on this note. I’m unsure as to who first uttered these words, but they couldn’t be truer. There’s nothing more satisfying than seeing your worst enemy when you’re looking out of this world, even if it’s only at the grocery store. Every first impression should be based on this type of drive to look hella’ good.