When you think of the name Mabel, visions of pralines ‘n cream, crocheted blankets and early bird specials may come to mind, but our latest FRESH MEET will put those assumptions (nice and reasonably early) to bed.
Meet Mabel McVey, 19-year-old Certified Cool Girl whose latest single Know Me Better has been on heavy rotation at the FORA headquarters. It’s instantly catchy and combines the perfect amount of hip-hop, jazz and soul.
Here are 5 things you need to know about this badass Swedish starlet.
1. She was born in Malaga, raised in Stockholm, and now spends most of her time in London.
2. She’s a Drake fan (aka she’s welcome in the 6ix anytime)
This is our ‘we almost got squashed to death pre Drake’ look #champagnepapi A photo posted by M a b e l (@mabelmcvey) on
3. Her Mom is ’90s singer Neneh Cherry and her Dad is music producer Cameron McVey
4. Her sister is musical too
5. Her single Know Me Better is about losing layers of pretension and control, and letting your guard down. She told FADER “When you first get to know someone you don’t want to let that person see your weaknesses, but in a way you’ve not really shown them your whole self until they’ve seen the rough edges,”
Stay tuned for new music from Mabel coming (we can only hope) soon!